Modeling Existing Structure

This forum is for the general discussion of Revit Structure

Modeling Existing Structure

Postby Fruit Bat » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:18 am

Hi All,

I am new to Revit and this forum. I am using Revit Structure 2014 as I work for a structural engineering consultancy.

I have a project where there is an existing steel framed building that is to be refurbished. This includes raising a floor level, creating service shafts, infilling floor voids and adding another storey on top.

I was wondering the best way to differentiate between the existing steelwork structure and the new steelwork? I might still be thinking as if i'm using CAD where I would create separate layers with different colours so I can easily see the difference and turn off and on when required. Is there a way to create an 'Existing Structural Column' layer for example?

The same applies to walls, floors, roofs etc... where I have existing and new.
I am out of bed and dressed - what more do you want?
Fruit Bat

Re: Modeling Existing Structure

Postby Revit Zone » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:26 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying :)

You would use Phases, in Revit to differentiate between existing and proposed. This is exactly what Phases are used for.

Regards,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby Fruit Bat » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:16 pm

Thanks for the reply to my original question.

I have another questions about phases now you can hopefully answer.

I have a new build project that I would like to split into sections (ie: office area, workshop area and above roof plant support). The main reason for splitting it up is that it is quite a complicated shape with curves in all directions possible and the interface between the office and workshop is a 'mess' of beams and columns in an irregular pattern to fit within the architects wall layout. I don't want to go any smaller than 1:100 when I create the drawing sheets as it becomes too difficult to read. At 1:100 the entire building will not fit on an A1 sheet though! If I could separate it then the office area and the workshop area could fit on @ 1:75. Would phasing be the best way to do this or is there another way?
I am out of bed and dressed - what more do you want?
Fruit Bat

Postby Revit Zone » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:47 am

Fruit Bat wrote:Thanks for the reply to my original question.

I have another questions about phases now you can hopefully answer.

I have a new build project that I would like to split into sections (ie: office area, workshop area and above roof plant support). The main reason for splitting it up is that it is quite a complicated shape with curves in all directions possible and the interface between the office and workshop is a 'mess' of beams and columns in an irregular pattern to fit within the architects wall layout. I don't want to go any smaller than 1:100 when I create the drawing sheets as it becomes too difficult to read. At 1:100 the entire building will not fit on an A1 sheet though! If I could separate it then the office area and the workshop area could fit on @ 1:75. Would phasing be the best way to do this or is there another way?

No, Phasing is purely used for showing how a project changes over time. You new question concerns how to best display the views on a sheet, when they are two large for a single sheet. I would recommend using "Dependent Views" and Split Lines-and actually put the two "part-plans" on two seperate sheets.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Return to Revit Structure: General questions