Cigar shaped columns...

All questions relating to any aspect of 3D modelling with revit should be posted here

Cigar shaped columns...

Postby nikdevlin » Wed May 27, 2015 1:31 pm

I am working on a great big dome, which is supported by 21 huge steel columns. The tallest column is 129ft high (yeah, we're working in Imperial; nightmare), the shorted is 76ft tall. They are to be about 150mm dia at the base, and 2134mm dia half way up, and, in elevation, curved, kind of cigar shaped, or like a seriously stretched barrel shape. I could of course do a sweep for each column witha 3-point arc swept around the central axis, but given that the 21 columns are 21 different heights, and will be changing a lot over the next year or two (we're barely at Stage C), I'd like to be able to create some sort of parametric column where, when an engineer pops by my desk and tells me the steel thickness has changed yet again, or the heights change yet again etc etc, all I have to do is pop into the family, tap in a couple of numbers, and reload it into the project. I've been using Revit for less than a month, and haven't got a clue how to achieve this (and I'm not even going to begin to wonder how they'll actually fabricate the things!)

Erm, heeeeelp!
nikdevlin

Re: Cigar shaped columns...

Postby nealmac » Thu May 28, 2015 11:00 am

Best way to do this, is to use the following parameters:

Height (The actual height of the column)
Width at base (The diameter at the bottom of the column)
Radius of curve (The radius of the large curve on the profile of the column)

Also, use a "Revolve, as opposed to a sweep. You'll need to set your centre axis. There's a column family template to help you get started.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
nealmac
Regular

Postby nikdevlin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:13 am

Sorry for taking so long to get back but I got no reply notification!

Thanks for that, It seems to work. I've changed the top level and the radius at the top and middle and bottom now all stay the same. It does mean the shorter columns look more barrel shaped, but hey, that's something for the architects to talk about...
nikdevlin

Postby puaa001 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:22 am

Thanks For Sharing information about architects.
You can search more information for this provides a personalized service Multi-Residential, Renovation, Commercial Gold Coast and north Queensland Architects.
puaa001

Return to 3D modelling